Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Time-aholic

It's ironic. The small time keeper on our wrists is called a "watch." Not a wrist clock. But a wrist watch. Maybe it's because we spend so much time watching it as it directs our every waking moment. We spend time watching our wrist watch.

It's July. Wasn't it just Christmas? Time. It is flying past like there is a huge black hole sucking the days away from me. It's scary, actually. I'm 37 years old. What is 37 "years" to God? Does he have a wrist watch and says "oh, it's time for a gentle rain storm" or "Gosh, I'm late in answering that prayer!" Yeah, I doubt it.

God's "beyondness" is unmistakable. Compared to Him, we are so small. His life is eternal, no beginning or end. Ours is fleeting, so brief in time.

Yet in our limitations, we can know Him. He has scattered evidence of His magnificence throughout the universe, in the heights of the heavens and the invisible depths of the atom.

I find that when I ponder the vastness of our universe and the beauty that it holds or the microscopic world of protons and electrons, the idea of "time" as we humans know it, leaves my mind for a brief moment. And then I feel relief. Until the alarm beeps on my Palm Pilot reminding me of an appointment I must attend. Time. We are never free from it's pull, it's constraints. We say we want to be closer to Jesus, but we have a hard time "finding time" to spend with Him. How do you find time? Like it's lost or something. No, for me, I waist time.

I need to be a better steward of my days. Each of us oxygen sucking pile of skin and bones is given a limited amount of life on this planet. How are we living it? And we try to so hard to fight the affects of time; cover the grey hair, apply special lotions and emollients to fill in the gaping crevices on our face, eat Centrum Silver to chemically keep our bodies feeling as young as possible, buy a sports car or seek a relationship with a much younger person in order to "feel" young. We humans are down right crazy!

We spend so much time watching our watches, attempting to find time, or discovering ways to run away from the affects of time. This really has me thinking about how I fill up my each and every day, week after week, month after month, year after year. How much of it is leaving a positive imprint on those around me? How much of it is dedicated to deepening a relationship with the Eternal One who knows no time? We are but a mere blip on the eternal "time line." The way I live my life on earth will have an affect on heaven's eternity. That is a deep thought, one that I must think long and hard about...

I'll end with His words from Ecclesiastes 3:11

"God has made everything beautiful for it's own time, He as planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end."

Dear God, I long to live fully into the days you've given me. I don't want to make excuses. Help me to think outside the limitations of the human timeline and to be more aware of Your Eternal presence as I move about on this planet. You will call me out of the realm of time one day and ask me to enter your eternity. But until that day comes, Lord, I desire to love more fully, to approach my use of time wisely and to experience the world you created with wonder and awe. The God who Was, who Is and who will always Be. Amen.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Hey dee,
How very true this is. I am a very poor time manager, however, after reading this, it makes me want to evaluate that ability and realize the importance of it and how it will affect heaven's eternity. It's one thing when I waste my time but to realize that I am wasting God's time is a whole different kettle of fish!
Love,
Carol