Pages

Sunday, July 1, 2007

One Saturday Morning

We take so much time pulling the annoying little dandelions and other various weeds from our flowerbeds and lawn. Yes, they are called "flowerbeds" but some flowers are not welcome there. WE choose the flowers we want displayed proudly in front of our house...Black Eyed Susan's, Coral Bells, Lupins, Daisy's but NOT Queen Anne's lace (it's a tall weed). Not the micro sized daisy like weed either, or the purple flower weed. We don't want them! They mess up our plan! They uglify our glorious gardens!!! Aren't weeds one way the evil one likes to mess with us?

I was on a much needed walk/run yesterday morning. I used to run several times a week but have gotten out of the habit. It was so pretty outside yesterday morning and I had time (and the conviction) so I donned my Asics running shoes and hit the macadam. It was such a great feeling to be outside doing something I really enjoy. Running always is a time of connection with God for me. I rarely, if ever, plug my ears with Earbuds, because I want that time on the road to be a conversation between me and God. Yesterday was no different. I've keep my life so busy as of late that I don't run = I don't have those wonderful conversations with my Maker. I miss that. I have to think, He does too.

Being so out of shape, I stopped to walk up this LONG uphill grade. Honestly, even when fit, I can't run the whole thing! It's a beautiful hill - which by walking it I can fully take in all it's wonder and awe. To my left was a field of healthy corn. Have you ever heard the music the breeze creates as it rushes over the thousand's of broad leaves that make up the average cornstalk filled field? It's a new sound I discovered yesterday - a sound I never knew existed. I thanked God for that audible gift.

There was a patch of land between the corn field and the macadam road - oh, about 5 feel wide or so. It was a glorious flowerbed!!! Multiple shades of purple, yellow, pink and white. So many different textures and dimensions. I was in awe by the way these innocent well placed flowers were dancing in the morning's cool breeze. I had to stop once again on the side of the road just to listen to their song. I loved this flowerbed - it's wild simplicity gave me such peace. Wildflowers. Also known as "weeds." A whole flowerbed along side a country road planted by the Master Gardner and it was the most amazing flowerbed I've ever seen. There must have been a gazillion wildflowers swaying together keeping the rhythm of His breath. I was surely in awe. I thanked God again, for this visual gift.

Why do we try so hard to keep wildflowers from OUR flowerbeds? Those ugly and pesky little tyrants. One here, two there. AAAGH! People buy chemicals to kill the buggers! But, when there is a whole field of them - we are moved by their simple beauty...strange huh?

1 comment:

Carol said...

Hey dee,
What awesome imagery. I feel like I was there with you. You know, this struck me tonight as I was sitting here reading it and reflecting upon it how we are just so much like those flowerbeds. When we were born, we were those wildflowers, those innocently placed flowers, full of all of those different textures and dimensions, pesticide free! Then, somehow over time, we were weeded out and replaced with all of the flowers that others deemed beautiful. I've been trying to simplify lately and get down to the basics of the real me. I'm not sure I've ever really had the opportunity to be that person but I'm getting there. So, if I have to think when God created me, I'm sure He planted a few dandelions (after all, yellow pretty much goes with anything), perhaps a thistle or 2, but my thistles also have those huge purple flowers on them (#1, I love purple and #2, well, there's always got to be a good thing to give any bad thing a redeeming quality, I think those huge purple flowers would be part of the Jesus in me), some Queen Anne's Lace (just because it sounds sophisticated and yet delicate at the same time and I know somewhere deep inside I have some sophistication and delicacy though I think they are both buried very deeply and perhaps there may be only one of these plants in my flowerbed). I think He also planted some rose bushes too. They are a great balance, strong deep beauty with some thorniness and sharpness to them too. And, last but not least, I think He made room for some petunias too. They are so colorful, but they stop growing if you don't take the time to nurture them and remove the dead ones so new ones can grow in their place, kind of like when I carry around all the dead, yuck stuff and stop growing and finally God comes in and takes care of it and makes room for new growth.
Boy, did I go on and on or what?!?
Sorry about that, anyway, great message, thanks for sharing!
Love,
Carol