Pages

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Dirty Dishes

The other day I was out for a run. When I became tired (about 3 minutes after I left my front door) I recalled what I ate the day before: LOTS. I said to myself, you know the "encouraging" self talk we do, "I must run because I ate like a piggy yesterday. So get on it and pick up the pace, woman!" That is just what I did...ran a bit faster.

As I continued to gasp for air, my mind wandered to a thoughtful space. I had just guilted myself into running! I was no longer running because it was a gorgeous crisp day or because I enjoy the feel of pavement under my feet with each step. God was once again speaking to me through something I enjoy doing and He was saying "run for the pleasure, not for guilt."
Examining more areas of my life where I take this stance, doing out of guilt instead of love, I was astounded and saddened that this ideal permeates large areas of my life. I see my in-laws because I feel guilty if I don't, INSTEAD of visiting them out of love for my husband (and them). Even doing the dishes, it's a daily task that I despise (maybe if I had a dishwasher I'd have a better attitude?), I am good at guilting myself into getting them done NOW or I'll be a horrible housekeeper. I could approach it out of love for my family - and the fact that I can not cook for them when dirty dishes are clogging up the postage sized counter space I have in my dinky kitchen.

Okay, those are only a few examples from my life. But I'll tell you, I've been more attentitive to that sneaky feeling of guilt and examining my heart and motives to see if I can do what needs to be done in love instead of guilty obligation.

The next time I'm working out (like later today), I want to approach it not out of guilt because, again last night I ate like a piggy, but out of sheer love to keep fit this body God crafted for my soul to reside in 38 years ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true, so true.
Kim :-)