Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Cabining ~ Saturday Morning 11/10/07

A cloudy sun peeked out from behind the light blocking roll shades in my room and I figured I needed to finally get up and try to get the fire going again. The cabin had chilled off to nearly the pre-habitation status of our arrival. Deb, still in bed, I tried very hard to crumple newspaper silently while working fast enough so that my fingers would not freeze and fall off. Scraps from trim molding went on next and for a dynamic scene, I threw on not one, but two of the Quick Start logs. Lit a match and before I knew it – I had once again created fire. It’s a neat feeling to create something, especially fire when the cabin is so cold you can see your breath as steam puffing from your nose and mouth. I created fire, I created warmth that sustains human and critter life. I was rather proud. However I was rather cautious of the amount of wood used as we were nearly out and had to get through the whole day and night and morning of Sunday.

Coffee was next on my list. I needed coffee now to warm me from the inside. French press coffee while camping tastes so amazing, one could probably trick me and use Nescafe or Folgers and I’d think I was having the best cup of joe ever. Deb got up, she said that she heard me crumpling newspaper so she got out of bed. Guess I wasn’t as silent as I thought.

Snow was no longer falling; instead it was its fully liquid kissing cousin. It was gently falling on the roof and the sound practically lulled me back to bed. But I resisted! I donned my running gear and set out to conquer the cold wet morning. Which I felt I had earned the right to do, since I did create fire after all. The run didn’t last too long. Only 2 loops around the camping ground road. The air was really damp and quite cold, my face felt as if it was beginning the first stages of frost bite. I knew there was a second cup of French Press waiting for me so I cut the run a bit short. Wimp.

(more from this cabining trip to come in a future post...)

No comments: