Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2007

How Much is Enough?

Faith. How much is enough?

I was reading the story in Acts 3 of the crippled man who was a professional beggar at the Temple Gate, the one called Beautiful. Everyday someone carried him from his home (?) to this Temple Gate so that he could ask for handouts from those entering the Temple. This man, crippled from birth, didn't sit outside the local Jerusalem Wal-Mart to beg the shoppers. No, he asked to be taken to the Temple. The Temple.

One day while sitting there, Peter and John came walking through the Beautiful Gate on their way to morning prayers in the Temple. The little crippled beggar saw them coming and held out his hand asking for change. He got change alright. But not the kind he was used to. Instead of receiving a few coins from a passerby, this time the crippled man received a greater gift. Peter and John, through the power of the Holy Spirit, gave him a big change - the ability to walk!

Now, I'd have to imagine that the crippled beggar was a bit surprised by this gift! He was thinking a few coins but they gave him what he really needed and what he wanted deep down in his heart. Something the beggar probably never thought about asking for because it would be impossible to get. "Why ask for things that I know are impossible to have?" could have been the beggars thought, "so I'll simply ask for change from men so that I can live day to day, that's realistic."

Or maybe this beggar had faith deep down but felt stupid asking for such a miracle? We'll never know that. But what we do know is that because of some level of faith - the man received a life change. He would no longer be dependant of others to haul him around so that he could "make a living." Now he could find work, make his own money, support himself...and even contribute to other beggars who sit at the Temple Gates. In an instant, he was no longer a beggar. He was a changed man with a new identity.

Faith led to receiving change. In many ways, I am like this crippled beggar - asking for simple change so that I can get through the daily grind of life. But, deep in my heart is there more that I long for? Something that I think "why ask it because it seems impossible." Could I consider that God desires me to have that impossible thing? But because I don't have enough faith, I won't receive it? "Oh ye of little faith..." rings though my mind right before I hear "nothing is impossible with God."

The Scriptures say that Peter, John and the previously crippled man walked together into the Temple where the man danced back and forth singing praises to God. People noticed that this was the crippled beggar and were astounded with what their eyes were seeing. Then they, too, broke out into dance in honor of God's goodness. It's contagious!!! As this man entered into major change in his life, he was not alone. The gift givers walked with him. How comforting is that!?

I'm at a place in life where a silly dream that's been brewing deep in my soul is emerging though the prompting of the Holy Spirit. A change is coming - and it's not just simple change. It's exciting but fear of the unknown seems to be the stronger emotion. Why can't I freely dance and praise God and trust Him as I walk this journey with Him, just as the crippled man did? Where was his fear? Where was his anxiety of how life would look after receiving the ability to walk?

How much faith is enough? Obviously, I could use a little boost in the faith department. God knows this and has been so gracious to not just walk with me in this time, but take me by the hand, assuring me I'm okay and that He'll not leave my side. I believe He wants to see me dance with joy, praising Him so that others see it and will praise Him as well!

God, I hope I'm not hurting Your heavenly hand with the tight grip I have on it. This time I will not chicken out - but please keep infusing me with faith and courage so that I stay in step with You, move with You, together - on this exciting journey of change. You never cease to amaze me. Your love and grace are evident and I'm overwhelmed by Your goodness. Thank you for leading me into the unknown. May I find comfort because I know my tiny fragile hand is gently held by Yours.

2 comments:

Carol said...

dee,
I love your prayer. It is such a great visual to me. Also know that not only is God holding your hand, but He has also provided you with a great web if support down here to help you along the way when you need to feel Him in a tangible way! Again, I just don't think I can say it enough just how much of an inspiration you are to me. I love your honesty and and will be praying a constant prayer for you!
Love,
Carol

Jane said...

deAnn,
hmmmmm...is there such a thing as a "silly dream"? I believe that God gives us a snapshot of the things that he wants us to see, whether it be dreams, or visions or whatever you want to call them. They come from our Creator for a reason, our job is to discern what it is in relation to what He wants for us. I agree, he wants us to "dance with joy" and gives us these glimpses of what that looks like. We in our human-ness distort it because of preconceived notions...because of our timid-ness to wander into unfamiliar territory. Just like the repressed artist syndrome, there are reasons...(things said to us, things we say to ourselves, circumstances, busyness..etc) that we think the way we do. You know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you were created for greatness....for Him and Him alone, therefore, grab hold of that snapshot, dont study it, dont pick it apart....just believe that it is a gift of insight.
I was intriged by your question..."Where was his anxiety of how life would look after receiving the ability to walk"? It is clear, there was none. This just drives home the other question about "how much faith is enough"? Both very good questions, both very human questions...I think it talks to the overthinking that we do(I am definately included!!) Incredible faith led the begger to believe in that particular moment...nothing more than that...as the saying goes...One day at a time...if that doesnt work for you...break it down to....one minute at a time....one second if need be!
I cant tell you how excited I am to be able to walk this journey with you in spirit...you are a gift to me and I treasure your friendship.
Peace,
Jane Leech